Tejansh Rana

169 likes

·

4.5K reads

18 comments

Nova⚡Manish
Nova⚡Manish
Mar 11, 2021

Well curated and nicely explained Tejansh. I don't use GitHub much, but liked reading what your article is saying. In simple words, you explained a very complex content 👼

Really liked reading it⚡

Would like to wish you a very all the best for everything in life🎎 May you bring more and more Contents that explain huge concepts in simple lines.

Keep going 😊

·
·1 reply
Tejansh Rana
Tejansh Rana
Author
·Mar 11, 2021

Thank you Manish⚡Nayak! That is incredibly kind of you. I wish you all the best for everything too 🙂

·
Savio Martin
Savio Martin
Mar 11, 2021

Thanks for this amazing write-up! Thanks, brother 👏

·
·1 reply
Tejansh Rana
Tejansh Rana
Author
·Mar 11, 2021

Thank you Savio Martin! 🙂

·
Michał Wójcik
Michał Wójcik
Mar 11, 2021

Can you told me about an app which you use in the main picture? Is just an image or this is the external app?

·
·4 replies
Tejansh Rana
Tejansh Rana
Author
·Mar 11, 2021

Hi Michał Wójcik, sure, that's an image by Yancy Min I found on unsplash. Here's the link to the original image - unsplash.com/photos/842ofHC6MaI 🙂

·
Zachary Dixon
Zachary Dixon
Mar 11, 2021

Might be gitkraken.com

·
Michał Wójcik
Michał Wójcik
Mar 11, 2021

Tejansh Rana - thanks ;-)

Zachary Dixon - I using gitkraken but this isn't 1:1 like on the image. On the image on the left sidebar, we have folder/file tree + main window git branches. I was hoping this is a good addon for ide ;D

·
Tejansh Rana
Tejansh Rana
Author
·Mar 11, 2021

I see what you mean Michał Wójcik. Yes, you get a very similar looking feature in the IDEs from JetBrains like IntelliJ where you can visualise the git flow. 🙂

·
Jay
Jay
Mar 11, 2021

I really liked the idea of opening the multiple PR against the own branch for huge changes. Having gone through a migration I feel that this would have helped the team members review the PR a lot faster without loosing interest in reviewing/testing it.

·
·1 reply
Tejansh Rana
Tejansh Rana
Author
·Mar 11, 2021

Thank you Jay. This has helped us a lot and we actively follow it when working on chunkier tasks like building the boilerplate code for a new project/microservice 🙂

·
Catalin Pit
Catalin Pit
Mar 12, 2021

Great article, Tejansh Rana! 👏

I enjoyed it, especially these points:

• Break it down to smaller PRs against your own branch and get that reviewed.
  • Add all the relevant information that you can to the PR.
  • A suitable title for your PR can also give clarity to the reviewer before they even read the description.
·
·1 reply
Tejansh Rana
Tejansh Rana
Author
·Mar 12, 2021

Thank you Catalin Pit! 🙂

·
Suraj Shende
Suraj Shende
Apr 11, 2021

Great article

·
·1 reply
Tejansh Rana
Tejansh Rana
Author
·Apr 11, 2021

Thank you Suraj Shende! 🙂

·
Nandy Legorreta
Nandy Legorreta
Mar 11, 2021

It is much better to use gitflow. datasift.github.io/gitflow/IntroducingGitF…

·
·2 replies
Tejansh Rana
Tejansh Rana
Author
·Mar 11, 2021

Sorry, what is it better for?

·
Tejansh Rana
Tejansh Rana
Author
·Mar 11, 2021

Nandy Legorreta if you mean for git branch management, here is what the author of Gitflow has to say about it - nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-…

TL;DR: It is a 10 year old model which is no longer recommended due to various constraints and since the workflow in Github has advanced significantly since. 🙂

·