Sign in
David  Morais

108 likes

8.0K reads

16 comments

Leandro Isotton
Leandro Isotton
Mar 10, 2021

Have you tried Firefox? They are really concerned about privacy as well and Firefox is developed by a Foundation, not by a company that has profit as an objective. I'm just curious if you had time to compare both.

7 replies
David  Morais
David  Morais
Author
Mar 10, 2021

In all honesty, I haven't. I have used Chrome based browsers for like 10+ years now, and I don't see myself switching over to Mozilla. Brave's creator is the same guy behind Mozilla btw ^^

Leandro Isotton
Leandro Isotton
Mar 10, 2021

I have to say that was using Chrome since 2011 (I think) and earlier this year I tried to switch to Opera, but at the end because of some points I thought that it was not a good choice. Then I tried something else, migrated everything to Firefox and started to use even Firefox to Android with sync between devices. I'm Firefox 99% of the time everywhere and so far I'm happy. The only thing that Firefox is still disappointing me is to join meetings: firstly I cannot share only one screen and secondly Microsoft Teams is not compatible with Firefox.

Daniel Ziltener
Daniel Ziltener
Mar 10, 2021

David Morais The Brave creator is also a massive asshole and the company behind Brave is questionable to say the least.

David  Morais
David  Morais
Author
Mar 10, 2021

Daniel Ziltener you're talking about Brendan Eich ?

Why do you say the company is 'questionable' ?

David  Morais
David  Morais
Author
Mar 10, 2021

Wow, I thought MS Teams was a web app, and therefore supported in all modern browsers.

Leandro Isotton

Leandro Isotton
Leandro Isotton
Mar 10, 2021

David Morais MS Teams has the app to install on Linux, but I did not want to install to join one meeting per day (daily meeting) :D and when I try to open the meeting with Firefox it does not show the option to join, only to download the App, so I use Chromium only to join meetings :D

David  Morais
David  Morais
Author
Mar 10, 2021

You can just 'install' the PWA on your Desktop to get close to a native experience Leandro Isotton

Daniel Ziltener
Daniel Ziltener
Mar 10, 2021

My Top Password Manager: KeePass XC. Syncs between all my machines and my phone using Syncthing, is open source, and nothing is behind a paywall. My Top Git GUI: Magit. Though (although it's been a long time) I think TortoiseGit is also a nice tool. My Top Browser: Firefox. It's fast, it isn't controlled by a big corporation, and honestly, at this point it's just "the lesser evil". My Top Code Editor: Spacemacs. Yes, it takes quite some time to get used to, but boy is it powerful...

Thomas Skyttegaard Hansen
Thomas Skyttegaard Hansen
Mar 10, 2021

Thanks for the list. No doubt that Notion is an impressive app, but it's so feature rich and imho a little too complicated. For personal use I just wanted something very simple for all the things I had to remember and do, so I wrote my own app. It's no where near an app like Notion, but sometimes the simpler the better ;). mentalist.app

2 replies
David  Morais
David  Morais
Author
Mar 10, 2021

Hey 馃憢 Thanks for sharing, it looks really cool. Functionality wise, I can see it's not a knowledge database like Notion, more of a To-Dos app, and yes, I agree that Notion can be overkill for simple to-dos :)

Hussein Kizz
Hussein Kizz
Mar 13, 2021

Am surprised, it looks cool. I also had a todo app idea, a social committing todo where you let your goals known to the community and earn badges from the community if you fulfill your declarations. so you can tune your app towards this too!

Sujeet Jaiswara
Sujeet Jaiswara
Mar 10, 2021
1 reply
David  Morais
David  Morais
Author
Mar 10, 2021

No I can't, because I'm already using YouTrack for this functionality and most importantly, because it is paid. Thx for your comment 馃檪

J3ffJessie
J3ffJessie
Mar 11, 2021

You can actually use Notion itself on Linux straight from the snap store on Ubuntu. Either the Notion snap or Lotion which is OSS I believe. Both are great and work near flawlessly. I will check out Web Catalogue though to compare. Awesome list.

Jocelyn
Jocelyn
Jul 3, 2021

A good and free time saving solution is autoscrib.com Speech-to-text app and website to transcript any live discussions or video conference in browser.