62 likes

·

1.0K reads

19 comments

Sandeep Panda Test
Sandeep Panda Test
Aug 5, 2020

Hi 👋 welcome to Hashnode!

We are going to revamp our APIs and document them properly this week.

I think it took some time to issue the certs because there were too many failed validations for your domain since Cloudflare was not bypassed after adding DNS records. We are making some changes to our platform which will help us catch these mistakes early on and prompt our users to correct the config.

·
·7 replies
Tina Holly
Tina Holly
Author
·Aug 6, 2020

Thanks! I’m glad it’s all figured out now. Thanks for featuring the article. ❤️

One more thing I noticed because I can’t use Cloudflare proxying is that if I link to the SSL version, the social media image doesn’t show up. I need to link to the non-SSL version for that to show. Do you know if there’s a way to address that or should I continue to link to the non-SSL version?

·
Sandeep Panda Test
Sandeep Panda Test
Aug 6, 2020

Tina Holly I am afraid I don’t follow. Could you please elaborate the issue?

·
Tina Holly
Tina Holly
Author
·Aug 6, 2020

Sandeep Panda

Yes, sure!

This is what it's like when I share the link with https:// (using SSL):

And when I share with http:// (not using SSL):

Note that the image doesn't show on social media unless I share the insecure link. Do you have any suggestions for this?

What I've seen other services do, like Heroku, Netlify, and Github Pages, is allow you to use the service without SSL. This allows me to use Cloudflare to its full potential, including its SSL certificates.

Thanks!

·
Sandeep Panda Test
Sandeep Panda Test
Aug 6, 2020

Tina Holly That's weird -- because for me the social image appears correctly with HTTPS.

Can you retry and see?

Unfortunately, we are not able to serve blogs without SSL. There are a couple of strong reasons for this:

• Serving a website without SSL is insecure and is prone to man-in-the-middle attack. If we don't serve a blog over HTTPS, we are compromising on security of our users. Read more about it here: web.dev/why-https-matters

• HTTPS is a must in order to use many new browser features (e.g. PWAs)

• Lastly, some domains such as those having .dev extension work only over HTTPS.

Let me know if the problem persists. I'll dig deeper and find a solution.

·
Tina Holly
Tina Holly
Author
·Aug 7, 2020

Sandeep Panda thanks for checking. That's bizarre. I'll see if it clears up after some time. Thanks for looking into it.

The reasoning re: SSL makes perfect sense. I always use it but usually via Cloudflare. It makes sense to protect users who don't use a CDN like Cloudflare.

Thanks! Really excited about this product!

·
Sandeep Panda Test
Sandeep Panda Test
Aug 9, 2020

Hey Tina Just checking - is the problem resolved? If not, happy to dig deeper. :)

·
Tina Holly
Tina Holly
Author
·Aug 9, 2020

Sandeep Panda Thanks for checking in. It looks like if I copy/paste it multiple times, it works subsequent times. Perhaps it's a redirection or timeout issue. I've only tested on Facebook. It's sufficient for now, I'll just keep it in mind to try multiple times if it doesn't show the first time. Thanks for verifying.

·
Bolaji Ayodeji
Bolaji Ayodeji
Aug 5, 2020

This is really amazing, I'm really glad to see that you're happy with the migration to Hashnode 🤩

Thank you for sharing the process. I'll be happy to get some feedback on your experience so far and some functionalities you think we should add to our APIs.

·
·4 replies
Tina Holly
Tina Holly
Author
·Aug 5, 2020

Hi Bolaji Ayodeji, thanks! Back-dating posts would be valuable to add to the API, i.e. the published date field, and to not enforce the front-end age restriction of ~6 years. Thanks!

·
Bolaji Ayodeji
Bolaji Ayodeji
Aug 5, 2020

Thanks for the feedback Tina Holly!

We're revamping the APIs and we'll support backdating posts in the next release. Stay tuned :)

·
Tina Holly
Tina Holly
Author
·Aug 5, 2020

Bolaji Ayodeji that’s so great to hear!

Also adding the ability to query my posts and get more than just 6 items. Pagination isn’t documented in the GraphQL API for the query user —> publications —> posts. Once your team adds support for historical post dates in the API, I’d like to query my Hashnode posts, match them with my old post data, and update the published date so that it’s accurate.

·
Bolaji Ayodeji
Bolaji Ayodeji
Aug 5, 2020

I've noted this Tina Holly, once we release the new version, we'll ensure to document officially.

Thank you once again :)

·
Vamsi Rao
Vamsi Rao
Aug 5, 2020

This is really helpful for the community. Thanks for sharing!

·
·1 reply
Tina Holly
Tina Holly
Author
·Aug 5, 2020

Thanks Vamsi Rao! I was looking for such an article when I started and didn’t find one so I thought I’d make one after figuring it out! 🙃

·
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Aug 5, 2020

Welcome to Hashnode. I can't wait to read your articles.

·
·1 reply
Tina Holly
Tina Holly
Author
·Aug 5, 2020

Thank you Edidiong Asikpo! ❤️

·
Syed Qasim Abbas
Syed Qasim Abbas
Apr 8, 2022

So far, people are very quickly migrating their blogs from WordPress to Hashnode. I am just wondering hashnode will allow some kind of monetization.

·