Sign in
Antonio Lo Fiego (He/Him)

22 comments

Sandeep Panda Test
Sandeep Panda Test
Aug 1, 2020

Super interesting! Bookmarked- will read this over the weekend.

·
·1 reply
Author
·Aug 2, 2020

Let me know what you think about it, Sandeep!

·
Bolaji Ayodeji
Bolaji Ayodeji
Aug 2, 2020

Really amazing, thanks for sharing this.

·
·1 reply
Author
·Aug 2, 2020

Glad you like it, Bolaji!

·
Tech Hustler
Tech Hustler
Aug 8, 2020

Great article! This can be a getting started guide for absolute beginners and explains the concepts and the need for dockers very well.

I know it is a personal choice and a lot of people like GIFs/Memes including me. But when I am reading this article, I felt they were a distraction or made the article a tad bit unprofessional. But I have no complaints as I didn't get too much disturbed and go elsewhere.

Couple of things I would have liked to see while reading the article:

• Can you provide an example for Type-1 Bare-metal hypervisors too?
  • A simple example of Dockerfile would have been nice.
  • Since I know we use artifactory as our DockerRegistry, it is worth a mention about the possibility of private docker registries to along with the public ones.

Overall thoroughly enjoyed this article. Thank you for putting this together.

·
·3 replies
Author
·Aug 8, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback! Let me address your points one by one:

• Some common examples of Type-1 Hypervisors are Microsoft Hyper-V, Intel/Linux Xen, and VMWare ESXi. I did not want to gloss over VMs too much as, in and of itself, it's a topic worth its own article.

• The Dockerfile and a lot more topics related to the hands-on aspects of building and running containers are in Part two of this guide!

• I did mention fully private Docker Registries when linking to the Registry's image. Most commercial options are still based on Docker's Registry image!

Also, to mention the meme/GIF comment, I understand your point. The goal of this article is less to be a guide and more to spark a little bit of interest in a Docker newbie. In my experience, a lot of the entry-level courses are dry, unrelatable, and tend to scare away beginners, making them believe that these are topics way out of their league.

If I, as a barely-average tech person, can explain them in a fun, relatable way, be it through the use of hand-drawn GIFs or a meme that might be stuck in your head, that barrier might be seen as less impassable, and new Docker users might start to understand the other, much more professional and structured guides and tutorials.

That is my take on using less-than-professional visualizations in an otherwise technical article, and I hope that you might see the benefit as I am striving to pass it along :)

·
Tech Hustler
Tech Hustler
Aug 8, 2020

Antonio Lo Fiego (He/Him) Thanks for explaining your point of view on using GIFs. I see what you are trying to do and am okay with it.

·
Ogundeyi Boluwatife
Ogundeyi Boluwatife
Sep 1, 2020

Thanks Antonio Lo Fiego (He/Him) for the amazing article as I was able to grasp the concept as a beginner behind docker and how they work. And your examples on type-1 hypervisors made me relate and resonate with the article the more as I'm familiar with hyper-v virtualisation on windows OS. Thanks again👍, as I don't have to watch a 30 min YouTube video to understand docker and containers lol 😀😀

·
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Aug 2, 2020

Wow. This is absolutely amazing Antonio Lo Fiego (He/Him). Thanks for sharing.

·
·1 reply
Author
·Aug 2, 2020

Thank you, Edidiong. Glad you enjoyed the read!

·
Luiz Filipe da Silva
Luiz Filipe da Silva
Aug 2, 2020

This is all I was looking for! Thanks for sharing!

·
·1 reply
Author
·Aug 2, 2020

Glad this worked for you, Luiz! Next week, we'll definitely go more hands-on, so you will not want to lose that.

·
Andrew Brown
Andrew Brown
Aug 2, 2020

I love the gifs, whats you're secret 😉

·
·1 reply
Author
·Aug 2, 2020

A stupid amount of time on Excalidraw and great feedback while editing 😜

·
Vivek Agrawal
Vivek Agrawal
Aug 2, 2020

A very nice overview of the concepts.

·
·4 replies
Author
·Aug 2, 2020

Thank you, Vivek!

·
Vivek Agrawal
Vivek Agrawal
Aug 2, 2020

Antonio Lo Fiego (He/Him) Can you recommend some resources for understanding Docker deeply?

·
Author
·Aug 3, 2020

Vivek Agrawal It might sound basic, but the official documentation really goes a long way. It might be a little bit dry to read, but if you are interested in getting deep into it, it is a gold mine.

I will continue making digestible (and illustrated) tutorials over the coming weeks, and I'll go as deep as necessary to be a competent user. I also plan to make some side-note articles where I try to explain to the best of my capabilities some of the more low-level concepts, but the main focus of this series is accessibility!

·
Vivek Agrawal
Vivek Agrawal
Aug 5, 2020

Antonio Lo Fiego (He/Him) Amazing! Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll follow your advice :)

And I'll look forward to your future posts!

Let's connect on Twitter: twitter.com/vkwebdev

·
Vamsi Rao
Vamsi Rao
Aug 4, 2020

Thanks so much for replying to my RFA. Can't wait for the next part!

·
·1 reply
Author
·Aug 5, 2020

I happened to have started writing this article even before checking the RFAs, but I was definitely glad to discover that it was already a really requested topic. Guess I got lucky! Glad you liked and excited to publish the next installment in a few days!

·
Peter Thaleikis
Peter Thaleikis
Sep 10, 2020

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

·